I'm thinking about your child's practice this week because for the first time in a long time, my practice goals are seriously constrained by time! I can only practice a few minutes a day due to an injury and I'm finding that I have to be so very efficient! Here are some of the ideas that I am keeping in mind for my practice:
- Set a clear goal to accomplish by the end of the practice session
- Make sure the goal is small, and your child knows how to accomplish the goal
- Play through the piece with the new accomplished portion
- Move on to another goal, or run through a performance piece or do some improvising!
- If the goals are accomplished before the regular time set aside for practicing, finish up early!
For the young child, teaching the idea and feeling for self-motivated discipline is so important, and music study is a perfect way to tackle this.
Here is an article with more details on practice techniques that you might enjoy.